Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (2)

***Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine***

Monument 14
by

Your mother hollers that you're going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don't stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don't thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not-you hurdle down the stairs and make a run for the corner.

Only, if it's the last time you'll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you'd stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.

But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

In Emmy Laybourne's action-packed debut novel, six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids trapped together in a chain superstore build a refuge for themselves inside. While outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapons spill, seems to be tearing the world-as they know it-apart.
I love the somber sense of impending doom that is achieved by the cover and I can't wait to find out what happens to these people!

7 comments:

  1. This has been on my "excited to read" list for a while now! I lovelovelove the premise, it sounds really good!

    I'm a new follower :)

    My Waiting on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does! I'm super excited for it :) Thanks for stopping by and following Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just seen this somewhere on Goodreads. *g* It really sounds promising! I don't know why but the cover reminds me of Misfits. (The UK show, not the book)

    Patricia // My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I believe I will be able to read this one soon and I CAN'T WAIT. It sounds so awesome, reminds me a bit of Gone by Michael Grant and it's definitely a good comparison.

    My WoW is here. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really cool. I love the premise of them being in a superstore. Awesome pick!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for this one! Its been awhile since I read a book on your review list, so I can compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for stopping by!! I'm so excited for this book!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!

This blog is an award free zone, thank you for your consideration!