Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games movie toughts...

Well, I just got home from The Hunger Games and I am still dumbfounded.  Taking a well loved book and making it into a movie has proved to be a very difficult task (see the flops that were the Twilight movies.) I was very nervous going into this movie, because I loved The Hunger Games so very much and I didn't want to see it get butchered like so many books before it.  Let me say, that I was not disappointed in the slightest.  I can honestly say that I have no complaints about this movie at all!

The actors became the characters, I believed that they were who they were portraying.  Jennifer Lawrence gets a freaking standing O from me.  She didn't even have to talk to be Katniss Everdeen, I could just look into her eyes and see the emotion.  Peeta and Gale were very well portrayed as well (even though Gale didn't really have that much to do, he looked sad very well!)  Lenny Kravitz as Cinna was just as great as I had thought he was going to be.  Woody Harrelson pulled off a blubbering drunk perfectly (was he really acting all that much?) and Donald Sutherland as President Snow was so fitting.

The scenery in the movie was spot on as well.  It really was exactly how I had envisioned it, from the ruins of District 12 to the eccentric Capitol.  The arena was also pulled straight from my mind, the lush greenery and the open space around the cornucopia.  The emotions that were played out in these scenes felt as if I was simply reading the book again.  I loved the eerie silence the day of the reaping and I absolutely adored the scene of Rues death, during both of these I cried my eyes out.  I also feel that the movie ended on the perfect note, an epic shot of a clearly unhappy president Snow that leaves you with the perfect unsettled emotion for Catching Fire.

If you are a lover of the book, I promise you that you will be a lover of the movie.  I think this movie was even so well done that you don't even have to have read the books to enjoy it.  You can tell that the people behind this movie were true fans of the book and they wanted to stay as true to it as possible, and they did not fail at that task at all.  This is by far the best book to movie that I have seen. So what are you waiting for? GO SEE IT!

If you have seen it, what do you think? What were your favorite scenes? Favorite actors? Is there anything you think could have been done better? 

3 comments:

  1. This was by far one of my all time favorite movies. I saw it last night and all day today I've been telling everyone that talks to me "I want to see it again!!!!!"

    My favorite part was the cave part. Everyone in my audience was all "awwww" when Katniss and Peeta kissed, and then it switched to Gale and we were all "aww...oh. ohhhhh. Oh shoot." It was funny hearing the whole audience react that way.

    Also, the reaping scene was amazing. My heart was pounding and I was on the verge of crying. Josh was fantastic in that scene. Had the perfect facial expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous I can not wait to watch this movie!!!! Reading this makes me antsy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw and reviewed it as well and you are right, it was great! A very, very well book to screen creation.

    ~V

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!

This blog is an award free zone, thank you for your consideration!